Summer is around the corner and we are already grilling here in Florida!! This easy weeknight dinner is in our rotation and while my youngest didn’t love it (no surprise there) the rest of the family did!! You could easily add grilled chicken or steak to this to make it heartier. It is adapted from this NYT recipe if you want to check out the original!!
- I served with toasted sourdough, but you could use croutons, etc.
- Block feta is going to give the right consistency for the dressing!
- You can “cheat” and buy charred frozen corn and throw in a pan.
- The more scallions the better, once charred, they were SO flavorful!
- 3 ears corn
- 6-12 scallion stalks
- 1 jalapeño
- olive oil
- salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 block of feta
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 bunch of finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped and rinsed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Heat grill to 450. Brush corn, scallions and jalapeño with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss on the grill and cook until charred, the scallions and jalapeño will be done before the corn - the corn should have blackened bits! Take off grill and let cool.
- In a bowl, using a fork, mash the feta into small crumbles. Whisk in buttermilk, lemon zest and juice and garlic, then stir in chives. Finely chop the charred jalapeño (cut in half and take out seeds) and stir it into the feta dressing; season with salt and fresh pepper. *do not use too much lemon juice!
- In a large bowl, toss lettuce with the feta dressing and arrange on a platter. Cut corn kernels off the cob and slice scallions into bite-size pieces. Arrange avocado slices, corn and scallions on top of the lettuce. Serve!
*credit goes to https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020403-grilled-corn-and-avocado-salad-with-feta-dressing - but is adapted with several changes to quantities/etc.